Saturday, April 10, 2010

Late Breaking Updates!











From Minnesota: Caleb is taking Azithromycin 500mg (Z-pack), Sudafed and Acidophilus but doesn't feel better!

From Peru: Vanessa (cual no hablo Español) sucked up the courage to leave the hotel and has made some interesting discoveries and observations about Lima, Peru.

First, here is the real map (not that confusing Google thing).
Key points are "A" where I am staying, Oceano Pacifico which is the beach where the Peruvian Mall of America is located, "B" is the Banco Credito where Kelly Hendrickson at Wells Fargo told me the best exchange rates can be found at the ATM machine and "C" is Gold's Gym. There are armed guards in front of every bank and I walked for two hours without encountering a single panhandler (can't do that in Minneapolis!).



I went grocery shopping as well and found out that, contrary to common practice in Minnesota, the organ meat is on display and the bottled water is hidden behind the counter. Ignore the guide books. The bottled water costs the same at the street vendor by the hotel as at the Supermercado two miles away. If only I could remember what Martha Mason taught me about how to tell safe bottled water from a bottle refilled from the tap and sold to unsuspecting touristas like mio..........

Ah well, as you can see from the photo's, I have found where I can have my laundry done for 4 nuevos soles per kg ($1 US per pound) and I have a one month unlimited membership to hang with my personal trainer Alejandro at Gold's Gym for $60 US. There is also a sushi place just next door. Tough luck Caleb.........

3 comments:

  1. Leave it to you of course to be there less than 24 and find a personal trainer! That is awesome, and I am sure that all the training Balance could offer will pale in comparison upon your return. I mean for goodness sake you already have a pic up of you and Alejandro(sp?) You are so predictable (finding fitness wherever you are) and yet so not predictable (this trip for one) and that is always what I love about you. Can't wait for the updates as they are sure to get even more interesting (is this possible?) once Caleb arrives!

    We'll miss you at Balance and are hoping that the Gold's Gym in Peru won't keep you there forever.

    Lisa-

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! I love the pictures of the North American brands floating around our sister continent to the South. Keep it coming!

    Sally (using Eli's google account)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that eating brains makes you smarter. Go for it, Nessa. You have nothing to loose!

    ReplyDelete